DATE: Saturday, October 30th, 2010
* Meet at 6:00PM
* Walk at 6:15PM sharp – do not be late!!
* Please do not arrive before 5:45PM
We are meeting at the fountain between the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center and the San Diego Natural History Museum. This is the location of the very first zombiewalk we held!
* We ask that you please familiarize yourselves with the walk guidelines, before arriving at the walk. This is important to make sure we have a walk that is fun and safe for everyone involved… and ensures our ability to continue holding zombiewalks in San Diego!
* As always, the walk is all-ages and free of charge to participate. The walk is open to EVERYONE, not just convention attendees!
* Please come dressed and made-up as a zombie (no masks). If you need makeup/supplies, please visit Gypsy Treasure in La Mesa, and tell ‘em the zombiewalk sent you!
* Public transportation (SDMTS) is readily available in the area. There are also many parking lots in the area, but spaces are limited. We strongly urge use of public transportation or carpooling.
* Following the Little Italy mini-walk, we’ll be partying at The Casbah! Entry to The Casbah is $20 with a portion going to Donate Life California. Bands & DJs will be performing and there is a costume contest for cash & prizes! It is 21+ and starts at 9:00PM. More details can be found here and tickets may be purchased here.
Are you registered as an organ donor? Right now over 21,000 Californians wait for an organ transplant and more than 100,000 are waiting throughout the United States. One third of them will die while waiting on the list to receive a transplant. The wait can be a long and frustrating one, for both the potential recipient and their family. By registering as a donor, you have the ability to save up to 8 lives and enhance the lives of up to 50 more through tissue donation!
If you’re not registered and want to register or you have questions about registering as a donor, please visit http://bit.ly/dlcazombies. Please also give this link out to everyone you know; via Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and email so that you can help spread the word! The more people that register, the better the odds that lives will be saved! Even if you have a pink dot pre-printed on your license or ID, it’s a good idea to register with Donate Life California, to make sure your wishes are met.
*Note to non-California residents: Registrations from out-of-state residents are accepted on the Donate Life California Registry and serve as an advance directive in accordance with California state law in the event one’s death occurs in this state. There is no national registry. All matters concerning organ and tissue donation are under the jurisdiction of each state’s respective laws. For information on how to become a donor in other states, go to www.donatelife.net and click on the state in question.
Following our zombiewalk at Comic-Con, on July 24th, we’ll be having an afterparty – Happy Hour of the Undead – at Quality Social, from 7PM-9PM. This is a charity event, where a portion of the bar take will be donated to Donate Life California (California’s organ donor registry). Quality Social has great drinks and delicious food, at affordable prices, so it’ll be a welcome break between the walk and whatever other plans you may have that night. Want more details on the Happy Hour of the Undead? Check ’em out!
* Categories: Furthest Decayed, Best Celebrity, Most Creative, and Zombie of the Year
* Prizes: Each winner will receive a small trophy, plus a prize package featuring a Dismember-Me Plush Zombie (courtesy of ThinkGeek), a signed copy of the “Dead Speed” graphic novel, and lots of other goodies. Zombie of the Year will also receive a sash declaring them to be 2010’s zombie of the year and an iPod loaded with “We’re Alive” episodes (courtesy of We’re Alive podcast)!
* Judge: Chris Gore – (@thatchrisgore – author, founder of Film Threat, Co-Writer/Producer of “My Big Fat Independent Movie”, and frequently seen on G4’s “Attack of the Show” – http://www.thatchrisgore.com
Zombie Shuffle Contest!
* Prize: The most entertaining zombie dancer will receive a small trophy, plus a prize package with a Dismember-Me Plush Zombie (courtesy of ThinkGeek), a $50 ThinkGeek gift certificate, and lots of other goodies.
* Judge: Enrique Limón – @enriquelimon – writer for San Diego CityBeat, art diva, entertainment guru, and one of the most fabulous residents of America’s Finest City – http://bit.ly/enriquelimon
Trivia For Brains!
* Win prizes by answering zombie trivia questions on Twitter – including ThinkGeek gift certificates, a free night at The Sofia Hotel, a reanimated cooking package, zombie-related books & graphic novels, and more – while enjoying a drink and feasting at Quality Social!
Many thanks to the following for donating prizes and giveaway items (and we’ll be adding to the list as we get closer to Comic-Con):
* FEARnet – www.fearnet.com
* We’re Alive Podcast – www.zombiepodcast.com
* ThinkGeek – www.thinkgeek.com
* The Sofia Hotel – www.thesofiahotel.com
* Salon Styletto – www.salonstyletto.com
* Forbidden Panel – www.forbiddenpanel.com
* Harcos Labs (Zombie Blood) – www.livingwithbloodlust.com
* Zombie Rock Apparel – www.zombierockapparel.com
* Zombie Flesh Jerky – www.zombiefleshjerky.com
* “Dead Speed” (writer Keith Arem) – www.dead-speed.com
* “Night of the Living Trekkies” (by Kevin David Anderson & Sam Stall) – Quirk Books: www.irreference.com
* “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” (by Seth Grahame-Green & Jane Austen) – Quirk Books: www.irreference.com
* AMC’s “The Walking Dead” – blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/
* Gowalla – www.gowalla.com
We’re gearing up for our annual holiday walk and we need your input! The walk will take place on the Saturday following Thanksgiving – November 28th, 2009 – and we will be collecting items to be donated to local homeless and San Diego families in need. More details of this walk & event will be forthcoming, but first we need to plan… and quick!
If you’d like to get involved in planning this walk and future walks (including Comic-Con 2010), please attend our first meeting on Thursday, November 5th, at 6:30PM:
1236 University Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103
Please bring cash for dinner, so that we do not have to worry about splitting the bill. Food and drinks are very affordable at Ono Sushi (not to mention quite delicious – and yes, they have hot food, too!)… see for yourself at http://www.onosushi.com.
We will be having another planning meeting in mid-November, as well as several meetings in December and throughout early 2010. They will all be announced here and we will have a calendar up, soon!
Zombies are familiar with the struggles of being hungry and not knowing where their next meal is going to come from, so we can identify with those in our community who may be short on their luck and need a little extra help from the San Diego Food Bank. Since we’re not all totally terrible savages, as portrayed in the hilariously awesome Zombieland, we’d like to give back by collecting food for the still-living!
Join us on Thursday, October 1st, 2009 at 5:30PM, at the Pacific Gaslamp 15, in downtown San Diego, for the Food Not Brains Zombiewalk & Food Drive. The first 150 zombies, to show up with donations for the food bank, will receive a wristband and pass for VIP seating at a special screening of Zombieland (in theaters nationwide on October 2nd) immediately following the walk. Following the movie (at approximately 9PM), join us for ANOTHER WALK and then an afterparty at Stage Saloon, where we can get our undead dance on to the sounds of Zombie Surf Camp!
If you are unable to meet up with us for the 5:30PM walk, please join us promptly at 9:00PM for another walk after the movie. Meet us in front of the Gaslamp Pacific 15 between 8:45PM and 9:00PM and we will do another sweep of the Gaslamp Quarter, then head back to Stage Saloon (21+) for the afterparty!
To Donate Food:
Last year’s food drive was a total success and we were happily surprised by the amount of donations San Diego Food Bank received! Let’s make this year even better! Please bring food & goods to the Pacific Gaslamp 15 Theater between 5PM and 6PM. San Diego Food Bank’s most-needed items include the following…
* Canned Meat (ham, chicken, tuna)
* Canned Nuts & Seeds
* Peanut Butter
* Macaroni & Cheese
* Canned Fruits
* Canned Vegetables
* Canned Juices
* Dried Fruit
* Evaporated Milk
* Powdered Milk
* Puddings & Custards (mixes ok)
* Low Sodium or No Salt Items
* Gluten-Free Items
Please remember that only non-perishable foods can be donated. Also, please no used items, homemade goods, or glass containers. If you can’t make it down to donate (we encourage zombies & non-zombies alike to bring items to donate!), please visit San Diego Food Bank’s Virtual Food Drive to donate from the comfort of your own home!
If you’re joining us on the walk or just wanting to watch the walk, please review our WALK GUIDELINES! This will keep things safe & fun for everyone involved.
If you’re looking for a good place to watch the walk, many of the awesome resturants along 5th Avenue, in the Gaslamp Quarter, have patio seating which will give you a prime vantage point. They also have a variety of tasty food options to choose from, so head down and grab an early dinner and the best seat for zombiewatching!
Follow the action on Twitter: @sdzombiewalk – if you see zombies in San Diego, upload pics and tweet @sdzombiewalk with the location you spotted them!
It’s official! Our third annual Food Bank Zombiewalk will be held in San Diego’s Gaslamp Quarter on Thursday, October 1st, 2009. More details to follow over the next couple weeks… sooner rather than later!